Archiving mail, no matter what application you use, is always a good thing to do. Being organized can help you with a cluttered and bursting Inbox and Sent Items folder. Here is a simple “How To” for creating a folder/mailbox in Apple’s Mail.app.
For those of you who have only one POP eMail account, the procedure is very straight forward.
1) At the bottom left corner of the Mail window click on the “+” pop-up menu. Select menu item “New Mailbox…”
2) You will then see a drop down sheet. Enter the name of your folder, mine is named “First Level” and click “OK”.
A new folder/mailbox has been created. To create a sub-folder, a folder within a folder, single click on the folder you just created, or any other you have created and repeat steps 1 and 2. You will have created a first level folder and a sub-folder within the first level folder.
IMAP mail is a mail protocol that keeps all mail on a server, rather than delivering it to your computers mailbox and deleting it from the server. There are many advantages to using IMAP. If you have multiple computers or an iPhone, you would be able to see the same mail on each device. And if you delete an eMail from one device, this update will be seen by all of your devices. This includes all archiving folders created on the server too.
Here is how to create a folder/mailbox using a single or multiple IMAP eMail accounts.
1) Select the account mailbox you would like to create a folder in.
2) At the bottom left corner of the Mail window click on the “+” pop-up menu. Select menu item “New Mailbox…”
3) You will then see a drop down sheet. Enter the name of your folder, mine is named “First Level” and click “OK”.
4) If you were successful you should see something similar to this:
And that’s it! You now know how to create folders/mailboxes in Apple’s Mail.app.